Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Great Debate

Gracie's 2nd birthday is coming up in a few short weeks. (Yes, I know, I want to cry too). Well it sort of snuck up on me this year. Last year I went all out for her first birthday, plus it was her golden birthday. I knew this birthday would be much smaller. I just wanted to invite all her little buddies over for a swimming party. I couldn't find any cute invitations online that weren't going to cost me a fortune so I opted to take her to the party store and let her pick. I am one of those moms that do let my child watch some tv. In fact, she knows quite a few characters and can work the remote and dvd player. Anyways, Chuck and I took her to the store the other day because I knew I needed to get the invites in the mail. Gracie ran right to Dora and held up the plates with Dora on them and keep chanting "Dora". OK. First of all, we don't watch Dora. Ever! We are Disney channel people usually. So we looked around some more and I found Nemo or Little Mermaid because afterall, we were having a pool party! Gracie ran around and grabbed more things too-Mickey, Pooh, Star Wars? But she kept running back to Dora. I really did not want to get her. I held up Nemo, Little Mermaid, and Dora and guess what she picked? Yup. Miss Dora. So Chuck made me buy the supplies to have a Dora party.
Well, as you know, I was not happy with the Dora selection. So a couple days later, Gracie and I went back to the party store ourselves. This time she ran up to Spongebob and actually said his name. Again. Don't know how she knows who Spongebob is. Sesame Street happened to be next to Dora, who she also went to again. I convinced her to go with Sesame Street then and here's why: she knows all the characters names and can say them, she counts like the Count "1, ah ah ah, 2 ah, ah, etc.", she is obsessed with Elmo, we have many Elmo movies and even Elmo live doll, and she watches the show and it hold her attention. So that is how we came to have a Sesame Street party. I had a Sesame Street party when I was little too. My mom made me ceramic figures of the characters. They lasted through the tornado and I still have them. I hope to pass them on to Gracie for her birthday too! Happy Birthday Baby Girl!

No comments: