I will never forget this day.
I will never forget how hot it was.
I will never forget how we were swimming an hour before.
I will never forget the green color that was in the sky as we drove home.
I will never forget the hail that was the size of softballs.
I will never forget the sound of something hitting my house as I started running.
I will never forget hearing the words “get into the basement.”
I will never forget running down the basement stairs.
I will never forget stopping at the bottom and looking up at family and friends that were still stuck at the top.
I will never forget the look on their faces.
I will never forget the image of the basement walls cracking and blowing away.
I will never forget watching the basement door blow away.
I will never forget the screaming for everyone to get downstairs.
I will never forget the cut that was bleeding on my mom’s face.
I will never forget hugging my cat who was thankfully in my arms.
I will never forget running to the corner of the basement.
I will never forget watching rubble tumble and filling the basement stairway seconds later.
I will never forget how it was raining in the basement.
I will never forget the sunlight that started peering in the cracks in the basement ceiling.
I will never forget the sound of my mom yelling for help.
I will never forget how neighbors helped pull us out through a window.
I will never forget how I turned to look at my house and saw across the street.
I will never forget how the basketball pole looked as it bent towards the ground.
I will never forget going to a neighbor’s house and crying with other neighbors.
I will never forget how worried I was about my dad and not knowing where he was.
I will never forget the sight of him running down the street because he couldn’t drive to get to us.
I will never forget sitting in the dark at my uncles house.
I will never forget how I felt when I was told that St. Mary’s, my school and church had been hit.
I will never forget hearing the news that Sr. Mary, the principal and my music teacher, Ms. Sanchez had died.
I will never forget hearing the news that my neighbor, Howard, was dead.
I will never forget that my dad slept in his truck that night in the driveway of what was once our house.
I will never forget that people were out looting and they called the National Guard.
I will never forget driving to Jewel at midnight to get a litter box and cat food for my cat.
I will never forget driving to my grandparent’s house because we had no where to live.
I will never forget staring the news for days.
I will never forget how generous and concerned my family was.
I will never forget the sounds of the machines as they bulldozed what was left.
I will never forget the smell of the huge piles of burning rubble.
I will never forget what the steeple of my church looked like.
I will never forget the image of a piece of hay that was impaled in a tree.
I will never forget how they found my mom’s wedding ring by combing through the carpet.
I will never forget how my baptism gown was still in my closet with tissue paper folded over the top of it yet the lid to the box was gone.
I will never forget the wooden cross that still stood hanging on the wall of my parent’s bedroom.
I will never forget seeing the snowman we found and how we made him hold the American flag.
I will never forget going through belongings that were salvaged and cleaning them off.
I will never forget living in a rental house and sleeping in the bathtub during storms because there was no basement.
I will never forget sharing a school with another school.
I will never forget going to school in trailers for 2 years.
I will never forget being bused to the old Joliet Catholic for high school.
I will never forget when we moved back into the new high school.
I will never forget moving back into my house after it was rebuilt.
I will never forget the feeling I get in my stomach when I hear those sirens go off.
I will never forget the people that showed up to help.
I will never forget how this once small community pulled together.
I will never forget to thank God for letting us survive this force of nature.
I will never forget anything about that day 20 years ago.
I will never forget the sights, sounds, and smells from that day.
I will never forget August 28, 1990.
Here is my driveway looking into what's left of our garage and living room.
I will never forget how hot it was.
I will never forget how we were swimming an hour before.
I will never forget the green color that was in the sky as we drove home.
I will never forget the hail that was the size of softballs.
I will never forget the sound of something hitting my house as I started running.
I will never forget hearing the words “get into the basement.”
I will never forget running down the basement stairs.
I will never forget stopping at the bottom and looking up at family and friends that were still stuck at the top.
I will never forget the look on their faces.
I will never forget the image of the basement walls cracking and blowing away.
I will never forget watching the basement door blow away.
I will never forget the screaming for everyone to get downstairs.
I will never forget the cut that was bleeding on my mom’s face.
I will never forget hugging my cat who was thankfully in my arms.
I will never forget running to the corner of the basement.
I will never forget watching rubble tumble and filling the basement stairway seconds later.
I will never forget how it was raining in the basement.
I will never forget the sunlight that started peering in the cracks in the basement ceiling.
I will never forget the sound of my mom yelling for help.
I will never forget how neighbors helped pull us out through a window.
I will never forget how I turned to look at my house and saw across the street.
I will never forget how the basketball pole looked as it bent towards the ground.
I will never forget going to a neighbor’s house and crying with other neighbors.
I will never forget how worried I was about my dad and not knowing where he was.
I will never forget the sight of him running down the street because he couldn’t drive to get to us.
I will never forget sitting in the dark at my uncles house.
I will never forget how I felt when I was told that St. Mary’s, my school and church had been hit.
I will never forget hearing the news that Sr. Mary, the principal and my music teacher, Ms. Sanchez had died.
I will never forget hearing the news that my neighbor, Howard, was dead.
I will never forget that my dad slept in his truck that night in the driveway of what was once our house.
I will never forget that people were out looting and they called the National Guard.
I will never forget driving to Jewel at midnight to get a litter box and cat food for my cat.
I will never forget driving to my grandparent’s house because we had no where to live.
I will never forget staring the news for days.
I will never forget how generous and concerned my family was.
I will never forget the sounds of the machines as they bulldozed what was left.
I will never forget the smell of the huge piles of burning rubble.
I will never forget what the steeple of my church looked like.
I will never forget the image of a piece of hay that was impaled in a tree.
I will never forget how they found my mom’s wedding ring by combing through the carpet.
I will never forget how my baptism gown was still in my closet with tissue paper folded over the top of it yet the lid to the box was gone.
I will never forget the wooden cross that still stood hanging on the wall of my parent’s bedroom.
I will never forget seeing the snowman we found and how we made him hold the American flag.
I will never forget going through belongings that were salvaged and cleaning them off.
I will never forget living in a rental house and sleeping in the bathtub during storms because there was no basement.
I will never forget sharing a school with another school.
I will never forget going to school in trailers for 2 years.
I will never forget being bused to the old Joliet Catholic for high school.
I will never forget when we moved back into the new high school.
I will never forget moving back into my house after it was rebuilt.
I will never forget the feeling I get in my stomach when I hear those sirens go off.
I will never forget the people that showed up to help.
I will never forget how this once small community pulled together.
I will never forget to thank God for letting us survive this force of nature.
I will never forget anything about that day 20 years ago.
I will never forget the sights, sounds, and smells from that day.
I will never forget August 28, 1990.
Here is my driveway looking into what's left of our garage and living room.
My bedroom with some clothes still hanging in the closet.






1 comment:
Wow Kris, THAT was an awesome post. You made me cry and I clung to every little world and was shocked at the photos. So much to be thankful for...
xoxo
Post a Comment